The US Culture Wars is a semi-autoethnographic documentary short, exploring the intergenerational aspects of the 1990 US Culture Wars and the New Christian Right’s political acts against the National Endowment for the Arts and its funded artists (NEA Four, Robert Mappelthorp and Andres Serrano). All interviews were conducted cross-atlantically from Berlin, Germany to varied locations in the US via skype and all b-role used was found footage online, culminating in a unique digital aesthetic and abstract relationship to distance and technologies.
- Pat Graney (Choreographer)- Seattle, WA
- Roberto Bedoya (Cultural Policy Advocate)- Tucson, Arizona
currently Executive Director of Tucson Pima Arts Council
- Steve Bailey (Former Artistic Director of “Jump Start”)- San Antonio, Texas
currently Chief Operating Officer of National Performance Network
- Jack Waters (Former Director of “Rio”)- New York City
currently Co-Founded of Allied Productions
- Arlene Goldbard (Cultural Policy Advocate)- San Francisco Bay Area, California
*Related update on Culture Wars resurface at the Smithsonian in 2010:
“Smithsonian’s New Culture War”
The film was created as a senior thesis project (with conjoining research essay) for a Bachelor of Arts degree at Goddard College (2011).